Top tips to look after your teeth
Spending the time caring for your teeth will not only give you a smile you can be proud of but may save you money on dental treatments in the future.
Here’s some top tips from our dentist Charl to help you show your teeth the love they deserve:
- Brush strokes – did you know that scrubbing with your toothbrush can erode the gums? Instead, use the brush in a circular motion, angling the toothbrush so that the fibres are slanted to the gum. The brush tips should not flick over the tooth surfaces. This will go over any gaps or misaligned teeth and is far more effective and kinder to your overall dental health.
- Time it right – next time you brush your teeth set a timer on your alarm clock or mobile phone and see whether you are meeting the recommended minimum brushing time of 2 minutes. You should be spending the count of three on every tooth surface. Surely we’ve all got four minutes a day to keep our teeth and gums healthy?
- Don’t forget your tongue – how many of you reading this can honestly say you clean your tongue? You may do a great job of keeping your teeth and gums clean but if you overlook brushing the surface of your tongue you are overlooking the bacteria that cause bad breath!
- Clean between your teeth for a healthier future – Did you know that using interdental brushes or flossing your teeth could add years to your life? Recent research revealed that those who have gum disease are more likely to suffer from coronary heart problems as those without gum conditions.
- Time your sugar fixes – reduce your sugary drinks or snack intake to once or twice a day and make sure you consume everything in one go, rather than grazing as this will mean your teeth are constantly under attack. One jelly been every half hour is worse than a whole slab of choclate once a day – not that we advise it!
- Visit your dentist regularly – it goes without saying that even if you do really well on observing the above five points, you still need to make sure you visit your dentist regularly. This is so we can keep a close eye on your oral health and treat any problems early on so that you can keep on smiling.
If you have any concerns about your oral hygiene routine why not ask at your next appointment or call us today on 01277 217706.